Livestock and Poultry Situation in Northern Mindanao, As of January 01, 2020

Reference Number: 

PSAX-SR-2020-05

Release Date: 

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

REGIONAL INVENTORY OF LIVESTOCK

The total swine inventory as of January 1, 2020, in Region 10 recorded at 1,059,320 heads. The inventory increased by 3.7 percent from the previous year’s level of 1,021,102 heads. In January 1, 2020, about 57.0 percent or 604,132 heads were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 43.0 percent or 455,188 heads were grown in commercial farms. 

The total inventory of goat in the region decreased to 217,824 heads. This was lower by 1.3 percent from the previous year’s record. In January 1, 2020, about 97.6 percent of these stocks were raised in the backyard farms while only 2.4 percent was reared in commercial farms. 

Inventory of cattle population as of January 1, 2020 had increased to 231,687 heads, higher by 1.7 percent from last year’s level of 227,746 heads. Around 93.6 percent were grown in backyard farms while the remaining 6.4 percent were raised in the commercial farms. 

Moreover, carabao in the region as of January 1, 2020 had a total count of 127,284 heads. It recorded an increase of 2.2 percent as compared to the 124,552 heads recorded last year.  Almost all of the carabao stocks were raised in the backyard farms. There was only less than a percent of the carabao inventory were raised in the commercial farms.

  

 

PROVINCIAL INVENTORY OF LIVESTOCK

Figure 2 shows that province of Bukidnon recorded the highest inventory of carabao at 55,748 heads. Bukidnon also recorded the highest increase of carabao inventory by 3.9 percent. Meanwhile,  Camiguin registered the lowest number of inventory with only 2,895 heads as of January 1, 2020. It also recorded the biggest drop of inventory by 2.9 percent from the previous year’s inventory of 2,980 heads. Lanao del Norte also recorded a decrease in inventory by 0.4 percent.

As shown in Figure 3 the highest inventory of cattle as of January 1, 2020 among the provinces was in  Bukidnon with 88,243 heads. Three provinces in the region posted decreases in cattle inventory with Misamis Occidental posting the biggest drop of 7.5 percent.

Lanao del Norte recorded the highest goat inventory as of 01 January 2020 with 63,902 heads while the province of Camiguin registered the lowest number of inventory with 6,245 heads. Misamis Occidental recorded the steepest decrease in goat inventory of  8.3 percent from the previous year’s record of 31,385 heads.

 

Figure 5 shows that Bukidnon had the highest recorded inventory of swine at 610,599 heads as of January 1, 2020. Bukidnon also posted the biggest increase in swine inventory by 5.6 percent. Other provinces which posted increases in inventory were Misamis Occidental and Misamis Oriental.

LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY PRODUCTION

In the second semester of 2019, hog production in Northern Mindanao recorded at 101,971 metric tons. This was an increase in production of 1.5 percent from the previous year’s production level of 100,498 metric tons. The production of goat in the region increased to 3,703 metric tons, higher by 2.6 percent from the previous year’s record of 3,608 metric tons. Moreover, cattle production increased to 17,535 metric tons, higher by 0.6 percent from last year’s record. On the other hand, the production performance of carabao declined, recording a decrease of 0.2 percent from last year’s production level. See Figure 6.

Figure 7 shows that chicken production in the region for the second semester of 2019 improved by 4.1  percent, from 86,819 metric tons in 2018 to 90,331 metric tons in 2019. On the other hand, duck production also increased by 3.2 percent, from 659 metric tons in 2018 to  680 metric tons in 2019.

Chicken egg production in the region was estimated at 24,522 metric tons for the period of July to December 2019. This was 3.6 percent higher than last year’s level of 23,748 metric tons. Moreover, production of duck eggs increased by 4.8 percent from last year’s record in the same period at 2,002 metric tons in 2018.

 

 

RUBEN D. ABARO, JR., CESE
Regional Director

 

 

 

For further inquiries, you may contact:

Statistical Operations & Coordination Division
Philippine Statistics Authority Regional Statistical Service Office 10
2nd Floor, Bldg. 4, Pride Rock Business Park
Gusa Highway, Cagayan de Oro City

 

Email: psaregion10@gmail.com
Telefax: (088) 856-4778

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

 

The data for this special release were collected by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) through the two (2) major surveys, namely:           

1) The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) which covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS); and
2) The Commercial Livestock and Poultry Survey (CLPS). A livestock farm is considered commercial when its operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: a) at least 21 heads of adults and zero young, b) at least 41 heads of young animals or c) at least 10 heads of adults and 22 heads of young animals. A poultry farm is considered commercial when its operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: a) at least 500 layers, b) at least 1,000 broilers or c) 100 layers and 100 broilers, if raised in combination. A duck farm is considered commercial if it has a raising capacity of at least 100 birds of duck regardless of age.

Data collection for swine and chicken is done quarterly while data collection is done semi-annually for goat, cattle, carabao, and duck farms. BLPS is conducted during the first seven (7) days of the first month after the reference quarter while CLPS is conducted during the last eight (8) days of the last month of the reference quarter or semester.

CONCEPTS AND DEFINITIONS

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised animals disposed for dressing including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter or dressing. This is expressed in thousand metric tons, liveweight

Inventory refers to the actual number of animals present in the farm as of the specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing cost such as the transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce are not included in the farmgate prices.

 

 

Tags: 

Download PDF format of article: 

Attachment(s):