Livestock and Poultry Situation in Northern Mindanao, As of July 01, 2019

Reference Number: 

PSAX-SR-2019-20

Release Date: 

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

INVENTORY OF LIVESTOCK

The total swine inventory as of July 1, 2019, in Region 10 raised at 997,870 heads. It slightly raised by 1.13 percent from the previous year’s level of 986,704 heads. In July 1, 2019, about 59.80 percent or 596,707 heads were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 40.20 percent or 401,163 heads were grown in commercial farms. 

The total inventory of goat in the region slightly increased to 223,395 heads. This was higher by 0.91 percent than the previous year’s record. In July 1, 2019, about 97.87 percent of these stocks were raised in the backyard farms while only two percent was reared in commercial farms. 

Inventory of cattle population as of July 1, 2019 had increased to 243,617 heads, which was higher by 2.34 percent from last year’s level of 238,049 heads. Around 93.41 percent were grown in backyard farms while the remaining 6.59 percent were raised in the commercial farms. 

Moreover, carabao in the region as of July 1, 2019 had a total count of 126,029 heads. It recorded an increase of 1.82 percent as compared to the 123,771 heads recorded last year.  Almost all of the carabao stocks were raised in the backyard farms. There was only less than a percent of the carabao inventory in the commercial farms.

In Figure 2, among the provinces in Northern Mindanao, the Province of Bukidnon recorded the highest inventory of carabao at 54,965 heads while the province of Camiguin registered the lowest number of inventory with only 2,892 heads as of July 1, 2019. There was a slightly decrease of carabao inventory in the province of Lanao del Norte recorded at 36,875 heads, which declined by 0.26 percent from the previous year’s record with 36,971 heads.

In Figure 3, across the provinces, the highest inventory of cattle as of July 1, 2019 was registered in the province of Bukidnon with 92,179 heads. On the other hand, the lowest number of cattle inventory was recorded in the province of Camiguin with 5,954 heads. There was a declined by 7.7 percent of cattle inventory in the province of Misamis Occidental recorded at 29,799 heads, from the previous year’s level of 32,281 heads.

In Figure 4, As of July 1, 2019, the highest inventory of goat among the provinces was recorded in the Province of Lanao del Norte with 64,562 heads while the province of Camiguin registered the lowest number of inventory with 5,816 heads. Across the provinces, only the province of Misamis Occidental recorded a decreased inventory of goat with 31,579 heads, which declined by 5.6 percent from the previous year’s record of 33,472 heads.

In Figure 5, the highest recorded inventory of swine among all the provinces was in the province of Bukidnon which registered count at 555,230 heads as of July 1, 2019. However, the lowest swine inventory was recorded in the province of Camiguin with 29,971 heads.

In the first semester of 2019, the hog production in Northern Mindanao reached 98,994 metric tons. This posted a production improvement of 2.98 percent from last year’s production level of 96,125 metric tons. The production of goat in the region increased to 4,016 metric tons. This was higher by 2.66 percent than the previous year’s record by 3,912 metric tons. On the other hand, the production performance of carabao and cattle had recorded output declines. Carabao production in the region decreased by 2.47 percent from last year’s level of 4,407 metric tons. Similarly, Cattle production slid to 20,495 metric tons which 1.55 percent lower than last year’s record in the first semester of 2019.

Chicken egg production in the region was estimated at 24,682 metric tons for the period of January to June 2019. This was 2.67 percent higher than last year’s level of 24,040 metric tons.  On the other hand, production of duck eggs increased by 2.93 percent from last year’s record of 2,287 metric tons for the first semester in 2018.

TECHNICAL NOTES

 

The data for this special release were collected by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) through the two (2) major surveys, namely:

           

1) The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) which covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS); and

2) The Commercial Livestock and Poultry Survey (CLPS). A livestock farm is considered commercial when its operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: a) at least 21 heads of adults and zero young, b) at least 41 heads of young animals or c) at least 10 heads of adults and 22 heads of young animals. A poultry farm is considered commercial when its operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: a) at least 500 layers, b) at least 1,000 broilers or c) 100 layers and 100 broilers, if raised in combination. A duck farm is considered commercial if it has a raising capacity of at least 100 birds of duck regardless of age.

 

Data collection for swine and chicken is done quarterly while data collection is done semi-annually for goat, cattle, carabao, and duck farms. BLPS is conducted during the first seven (7) days of the first month after the reference quarter while CLPS is conducted during the last eight (8) days of the last month of the reference quarter or semester.

 

 

CONCEPTS AND DEFINITIONS

 

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised animals disposed for dressing including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter or dressing. This is expressed in thousand metric tons, liveweight

 

Inventory refers to the actual number of animals present in the farm as of the specific reference date.

 

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing cost such as the transport and other marketing costs (if any) incurred in selling the produce are not included in the farmgate prices.

 

 

(Sgd.) RUBEN D. ABARO, JR.

Regional Director

 

For further inquiries, you may contact:

 

Statistical Operations & Coordination Division

Philippine Statistics Authority Regional Statistical Service Office 10

2nd Floor, Bldg. 4, Pride Rock Business Park

Gusa Highway, Cagayan de Oro City

 

Email: psaregion10@gmail.com

Telefax: (088) 856-4778

 

 

Tags: 

Download PDF format of article: